Caltech is run by professional land surveyors and project managers who are passionate about providing industry-leading service. Our company has grown from just 2 people in 1990, to a large and diverse group of over 140 hardworking professionals.
We are now looking to add a Survey Party Chief with a strong combination of construction, pipeline, oil and gas, land development and legal land surveying experience to our team. If you are motivated by success, career growth potential and a great team, we encourage you to apply today!
We offer a challenging and rewarding workplace, and provide competitive compensation, a comprehensive benefits package, and many opportunities for growth. For us work-life balance means working hard and playing hard; our clients and our people are our focus. We use the most current technology and have made professional development a key part of our strategic plan.
We are committed to establishing and maintaining a diverse and inclusive workplace, particularly for those who have been historically excluded from, and under-represented in the workplace, such as: Indigenous peoples, persons of color or otherwise racialized groups, persons with disabilities, women in under-represented roles, and 2SLGBTQ+ persons.
What will you be doing?
As a Survey Party Chief, you will be responsible for managing a field crew and performing field survey work on projects in the construction, pipeline, oil and gas, land development and legal. Your duties will include:
- Manage and perform field survey work with the help of Survey Assistants
- Liaise with Project Managers and clients to coordinate field survey work, to review and manage project budgets, timeline requirements, priorities and survey methodology
- Provide guidance, leadership and mentorship to Survey Assistants
- Act as a company representative, liaising directly with client field representatives, landowners and other stakeholders
- Prepare and communicate field notes, sketches, checklists and digital data in required formats for Project Managers, Land Surveyors and Drafting personnel
- Actively participate in and proactively support the advancement of the Caltech Surveys safety program
- Other duties as required
What do you need to be successful in this role?
- Completion of a recognized postsecondary program related to surveying and geomatics OR demonstrate a minimum of 3 years’ experience in a similar role.
- Valid driver’s license and acceptable driver’s abstract per company policy
- Participate in training on technology and methodology
- Obtain and maintain valid safety tickets and essential certifications
- Willing to work outside in the field in all weather conditions
- Willing and able to travel extensively and be away from home frequently
- Must be able to pass drug and alcohol testing as required to access work sites
- Actively participate in Caltech Survey Ltd.’s health and safety program
- Excellent interpersonal skills, dedication to customer service, and the ability to motivate, develop train, and coach survey staff
- Strong commitment to excellence, attention to detail, and time management
- Experience with the use of ATVs/UTVs, snowmobiles, and chainsaws
- Mechanically inclined
- Experience in line location and legal surveys for the petroleum industry
- Knowledge and experience using Trimble equipment and software, RTK GPS, and line locating
- Primarily field work; in all weather conditions ranging from -50C to +40C between seasons
- Frequent long-distance travel (driving), extensive time spent in hotels
- Frequently lifting, pushing, pulling, walking, standing with items up to 20 lbs
- Occasionally lifting, pushing, pulling, walking, standing with items up to 50 lbs
- Constant balancing, climbing and walking on uneven ground and terrain
- Frequent bending and reaching
- Operate ATV/UTV/Snowmobile
- Frequent use of arm strength to pound in markers/pins/stakes/post
- Frequent exposure to loud noises
- Constant communication (spoken, written, reading)
- Manual dexterity required to use laptop computer and peripherals; and for manual drawings
- Overtime as required based on workload
How to apply?
Please forward your resume to email@example.com.
We thank all applicants for their interest. However, only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.